The railway is home to seven steam engines of various designs, shape and colour. Many are historic locomotives bought here in a derelict state, although number 6 Sammy The Sargent is specially built for this line. Whilst some of the engines are not yet in service, they can be viewed in our museum area by prior arrangement only.
Number 2 is a 2-6-0 + 0-6-2 Garrett locomotive and was built by the full size locomotive builders, Kitsons Of Leeds in 1938 for the Surrey Border and Camberley Railway. Here it ran until the line closed in 1939, when it went to the Shillingstone Light Railway. Here its appearance was altered from scale to narrow gauge outline. When the railway closed, the locomotive ended up on a plinth in Wimborne and then in a private collection in Belgium. It was repatriated in 2002 and since then has had a new boiler and mechanical work to allow the leading and trailing wheels to pivot.
Number 3 is an 0-6-2 tank engine and was built in 1976 by Rodger Marsh for the Age Of Steam in Cornwall. She was joined by Isambard Kingdom Brunel, and they both ran here until the line closed. From there she went to St Mary's Hospial and Watford before coming to the Royal Victoria Railway and joining Isambard once again in 2003. In 2013 Trevithick had a full overhaul and can once again be seen on selected days. She has now been repainted and lined in red.
Number 4 is a 2-6-0 tender engine and was designed and built by David Curwen in 1977 for the Age Of Steam in Cornwall. She ran here with Trevithick until the line closed. Bought by the railway in a derelict state, she was completly rebuilt and entered service in 1997. Since then Isambard has had another full overhaul including a new tender body and smoke box, all built in our own workshops. She returned to service in early 2014 and remains a firm favourite with passengers and drivers. Isambard has been repainted and lined out.
No 6 is a 2-6-0 tender engine, designed by David Curwen but built by P.Bowers in our own workshops with all the same patterns and castings as used on Isambard. She also has an identical tender. This engine is solely owned by Royal Victoria Railway, her first public running was on the 14th May 2017.
Number 2006 is a 4-4-2 Atlantic built by David Curwen in 1952 and used on his Weymouth railway painted in an unusual shade of cream. Mr Murcott senior purchased the Atlantic from Stephen Brown in approximatly 1963 for his railway in Wales where it remained until we purchased it and brought it to RVR on 2nd March 2016. The Engineer will need a full overhaul.
Number 2011 is 4-6-2 Pacific built by H.C.S Bullock in 1938. She went to Mr Cookson of Billinghurst and then on to the Shoreham miniature railway. In 1938 she was used to open the Surrey Border and Camberley railway. This is the condition it arrived in after being stored in mid Wales for 50 years. RVR purchased her in March 2016. Coronation has been fully rebuilt to bring it more in line with the Great Western Locomotives and has been renamed The Great Bear No.111 as this was the only Pacific on the GWR. It has a new hydraulic and steam test. New picture to follow once name plate and painting completed.